Monday 22 February 2016

Two Sewing Pledges


I'm making a Vintage Pledge 

If you put it on the internet it must be true? Right?

Well at least it might make me more accountable!

I am going to join in the 2016 Vintage Sewing Pledge. (Ok, now I must go through with it….right?)

What is the Vintage Pledge? The Vintage Pledge is hosted by two lovely blogs A Stitch Odyssey and Kestral Makes who made their initial pledges back in 2014. Many were inspired and this marks the third year of the pledge.

A pledge can be as specific or as flexible as you like, there is only one 'rule', that you must use vintage or reproduction patterns.

I have a few Stretch/Knit sewing patterns I picked up from an Antiques/Collectible shop in Strathalbyn last year. They are from the late 1970's, they range between 1977 and 1978.


My pledge is to make one top and one skirt…..

 
I going to attempt the square neck variation of the short sleeve raglan top and…..

one of the multi panelled A line skirts.

Maybe I will be able to find some 70's inspired material?

Why am I making a Vintage Pledge?

Just because it is old doesn't mean it is not as good or stylish. I predict I may learn a lot from following a vintage sewing pattern.


I'm making the Seamless Pledge too!

In addition to joining into the Vintage Pledge, I am making a Seamless Pledge to create an additional challenge for myself.

I will only sew, refashion or buy pre-loved clothes for myself this year.

The rules I am setting myself (which compliment the Seamless Pledge) are:

  1. I can buy new shoes, jewellery, underwear and accessories etc (however refer to rule 5)
  2. Clothes can be new if purchased from a Charity shop
  3. The challenge only applies to me, but where possible I will do this for my family as well.
  4. If possible I will up cycle/refashion vintage or secondhand clothes to make new or updated items.
  5. I will support local handmade designers and artists wherever possible!

Why make this pledge?

  • I really find sewing, making and wearing clothing I know I created extremely fulfilling.
  • I get frustrated by how easy it is to buy and discard things in today's society.
  • By buying pre-loved clothing I am helping to recycle, up cycle and supporting a charity as a bonus.
  • I love the idea of supporting local artists and my local economy. Not to mention the unique and special handmade items available!
  • To inspire others to maybe start sewing, refashion old favourites or check out their local charity shop or artisan craft market/store.
I had already decided to make this pledge when I discovered a similar pledge on the Seamless blog. Elena made her original pledge in 2011 and people are still signing up!
Elena says:  
Seamless is a challenge. Who needs new clothes when you can stitch and thrift to your heart’s content? 
Elena I agree!


I hope I have you thinking about it too :)

Thanks for reading,
SJ

No comments:

Post a Comment